For more than a decade, Tom Fitzgerald has led the firm's management team and developed and implemented strategies for growth and profitability. Over the last five years, he has been involved in major practice expansion efforts, including the acquisitions of:
• A group of 40 intellectual property and commercial litigation attorneys from the former Howrey law firm in Houston
• A 70-attorney litigation team primarily in New York from the former Dewey & LeBoeuf firm
• A significant ITC Section 337 group located in the Washington, D.C. office
• A high-profile group of commercial litigation, bankruptcy, energy, and corporate partners in Houston
• A group of 40 transactional and finance lawyers from Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
• In early 2017, Tom engineered the firm’s opening of a new Dallas office by recruiting 60 attorneys from nine different firms. The launch was described as “the biggest shakeup in Dallas legal circles in a very long time.”
Tom also works with the firm’s professional staff on law school recruiting, professional development matters, development of alternative fee arrangements, and knowledge management initiatives.
Prior to serving as managing partner, Tom concentrated his practice on taxation matters for both publicly and privately held corporations, often advising them on acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, and reorganizations, and resolving disputes with federal and state tax agencies.
Nearly fifty years ago, Congress passed the Equal Rights Amendment with overwhelming support from both sides of the aisle and sent it to the states for ratification. By the late 1970s, 35 states had ratifiedâ€”three short of the 38 r...