Nathaniel Kritzer - Recognized by the Legal 500 as a "seasoned trial attorney," Nate Kritzer has a long track record of winning favorable results for his clients. Nate has successfully tried multiple cases as a first-chair trial counsel and has argued and won appeals in numerous courts including the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, and New York State's Supreme Court, Appellate Division. Key areas of Nate's practice include securities and shareholder litigation, trade secrets litigation, bankruptcy litigation, and class action defense.
Nate has successfully represented clients ranging from blue-chip, household-name corporations, to major financial institutions and private funds, to startup companies and individual investors. In addition to his broad experience in other areas, Nate has extensive experience representing clients in cross-border enforcement and litigation matters. Recent highlights from Nate's lengthy list of client victories include the following results in 2018-2020 alone:
- Won a final arbitration award exceeding $14 million for an investor against the co-founder of a collapsed financial firm. Within weeks of obtaining the award, obtained liens against real property held by shell entities in an ex parte proceeding to secure enforcement of the award.
- Won a decision dismissing all claims against former officers of a major, public sporting goods company in litigation against a bankruptcy trustee purporting to assert claims for breach of fiduciary duty. The decision came after the trustee had been allowed to take extensive pre-suit discovery.
- Served as first-chair trial counsel to a publicly traded technology company and two of its senior executives in a weeklong arbitration defending claims for securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duty brought in connection with a significant acquisition. The case settled after the hearing with no admission of liability and no payment made by Steptoe's clients.
- Won a groundbreaking ruling dismissing overseas directors and officers of Israel's largest telecom from a securities action, based on lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Won a significant victory defeating class certification (with prejudice) in a case against blue-chip personal care company, affirmed on appeal.
- Won a motion to dismiss all claims against a US-listed, Australia- and London-based Fortune Global 500 mining company in a putative securities class action.
- Won an appellate ruling reversing a trial-court order and dismissing trade secret (and related) claims asserted against Canada's largest independently owned commercial real estate firm.
- Won a motion to dismiss all claims against one of the United States' largest poultry producers in a putative securities class action lawsuit.
- Won summary judgment against a certified class of claimants suing the nation's largest return-of-information provider.
- Won a seven-figure damages award on summary judgment on behalf of an investor in a startup company in the renewable energy sector.
- Won a motion to dismiss a securities class action lawsuit against Israeli directors and officers of a liquidating technology firm for failure to state a claim.
- Secured closure of an SEC investigation of officers of a foreign-incorporated, US-listed company, with no charges filed against clients.